This is a tropical and fun recipe for when you’re craving something comforting but refreshing! Interestingly, the viscous texture of the passionfruit puree acts as a binder instead of eggs. The bananas give the loaf extra moisture and sweetness. However, extra sugar is needed to balance out the tartness of the passionfruit. The high amount of fruit in this recipe makes a dense and moist loaf.
Easy Banana and Passionfruit Bread [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients
- 1/2 cups white rice flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the Wet Ingredients
- 2 ripe bananas
- 3 passionfruit, puree only (about 4 ounces, or 110 g)
- 1 1/4 cup plant-based milk, such as almond, soy, or coconut
- 3 tablespoons sunflower or olive oil
For the Decorations
- 1 cup plant-based yogurt, such as coconut, soy, or almond
- Extra passionfruit puree, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a 9 × 4-inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl or food processor. Mix until there are no lumps and everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas and mix with the passionfruit, breaking up any long strands of puree. Add the fruit and the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer can be inserted into the middle and there is no raw batter on it. The loaf will be slightly moist from the high amount of fruit. Let the loaf cool in the pan.
- When the loaf is completely cool, spread with yogurt and passionfruit puree. Store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The loaf can be kept at room temperature for a few days or in the freezer for up to 1 month without the yogurt frosting.
Substitutions: If you cannot eat almonds, you may substitute the almond meal with 1 cup of all-purpose flour. However, this will result in a slightly chewy loaf due to the high amount of passionfruit.
- Almond Flour