Then I decided to make something that somehow had escaped my attention. With all the vegan burgers I’ve made – and I’ve made a lot – I had never made a tofu burger. OMG! These burgers were so good. They tasted more like beefy burgers than bean burgers. The texture was crispy on the outside because I really let them build up a crust while cooking them but they were tender inside and just so delicious.
Double Black Bean Tofu Cheeseburgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Double Black Bean Tofu Cheeseburgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 package silken tofu, firm
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup kale or any greens, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- Up to 1/2 cup chickpea flour, if needed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella shreds
- 4 gluten-free buns
- Lettuce, tomatoes, and other toppings
How to Prepare Double Black Bean Tofu Cheeseburgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Mash the beans in a bowl or in a food processor and put them in a bowl. Drain the silken tofu and mash it in the bowl with the beans. In a food processor, combine the onion and greens and process until smooth and well-combined. Add to the beans and tofu.
- Mix in the tomato paste, tamari, and seasoning. Add the xanthan gum and the bread crumbs. Mix everything well and see if the mixture feels like it will hold in patties.
- Add flour, a few spoons at a time, until the mixture feels smooth, not too sticky and you think the patties will hold up. Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and shape them into burger patties. Let them rest on a plate while you heat up the oil.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Place 3 of the patties (depending on the size of your pan) in the pan and don’t move it until it forms a good crust on the bottom, about 4 minutes. Gently flip the patties and cook the second side until browned, another 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cook the remaining patties.
- To melt the cheese, put the burgers in the pan over medium heat. Top each burger with mozzarella shreds. Add 2 Tbs. water to the pan and cover the pan. The cheese will melt from the steam. Serve the burgers on buns with lettuce, tomatoes and your favorite toppings.
Per Serving: Calories: 405 | Carbs: 57 g | Fat: 16 g | Protein: 15 g | Sodium: 1480 mg | Sugar: 7 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.