We know what you are thinking. Chocolate and hummus? Pass. But try this recipe and you will instantly regret you hesitated in the first place. This recipe is seamless, affordable, and you can switch up the fruit if cherries aren't your thing! Dark chocolate and rich cherries add another dimension of flavor while the pistachios add a crunchy texture and a hint of savory.
Dark Chocolate Cherry Hummus [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Hummus:
- 2 cans chickpeas
- 1/3 cup date syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/3 cup cacao
For the Cherries:
- 1 cup pitted, chopped cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch combined with 1/3 cup water
- Add pitted and chopped cherries in a pan over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes then add sugar. Combine corn starch and sugar, whisk until smooth, and add to pan. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until soft. Remove from heat.
- Drain chickpeas, add the beans, salt, date syrup, almond extract, cacao, cherries, and coconut oil in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips and garnish with chocolate and pistachios. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to be served.