This meal is the complete package – with fiber and protein from the peas, a rich creamy consistency from the coconut milk, a magical aroma from the spices, tender cherry tomatoes, and of course, fresh herbs for an added bit of flavor. What is not to love? Plus this dish is affordable, easy to make, and absolutely delightful to eat.
Curry and Coconut Potatoes With Cashews and Peas [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10-12 new potatoes
- 1/3 cup cashews, soaked for 10-15 minutes and then chopped
- 1 cup green peas (frozen works best)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- A handful of basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place cashews in a glass of water for 15-30 minutes to soften. Boil potatoes until they are soft.
- In a large pan, add the cashews and allow them to gently roast. Add the steamed potatoes and toss them to coat. Add a 1/2 cup of water and the tomato paste into the mixture.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and simmer them for 5-8 minutes. Add all the spices.
- Stir the mixture well to coat the potatoes.
- Simmer the dish until the cherry tomatoes are cooked through. This should take 3-5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and peas. Simmer them until the sauce begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped basil to the top and serve the dish immediately.