Halloween is around the corner and you are wondering what to serve after the apple bobbing? Try this creamy, fall-themed soup, served in ornamental pumpkins.
Curried Pumpkin Soup (Served in a Pumpkin!) [Vegan]
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 1/4 cups diced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup celery
- 1/2 teaspoon seeded and diced hot chile pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 4 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped pumpkin (1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, toasting optional
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon coconut nectar, agave nectar, or maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups soy creamer or non-dairy milk, such as coconut, soy, rice, or almond
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- Place the vegetable stock in a 3-quart pot over high heat. Add all the remaining ingredients, except the soy creamer, lime juice, and cilantro, and cook until the pumpkin is just soft, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the soy creamer, carefully transfer to a blender, and blend until creamy.
- Return the mixture to the pot, add the lime juice and cilantro, and cook for five minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.