When it comes to burgers, it's all about the spice. Made from yellow pumpkin, earthy chickpeas and a mixture of warming spices, these burgers are the perfect combo for your barbeque, a game night dinner, or just for that cozy get-together with your friends. Try them with different toppings like greens, pickles, tomatoes, and your favorite sauce.
Curried Pumpkin and Chickpea Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup grated yellow pumpkin
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt-free curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 flax eggs (1 tablespoon ground flaxseed, plus 3 tablespoons water per egg)
- 4 tablespoons brown rice flour
- Preheat the oven to 390°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and grate the pumpkin. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer and press out as much excess liquid as possible. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a food processor fitted with an "S"-blade, blend the rinsed chickpeas, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, and all the spices until an even paste comes out.
- In a large bowl mix the grated pumpkin with the chickpea mixture, flax eggs, and brown rice flour. Stir well to combine. Add a bit more flour if the batter comes out too wet.
- Form the batter into 9 even-sized balls and flatten until about 3/4-inch thick patties.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes and remove from the oven.