Cauliflower rice is a wonderful grain-free alternative to rice that is lighter, more nutritious, and just as delicious! While you can definitely enjoy cauliflower rice plain, this dish only gets more delectable with more seasoning. This particular recipe uses Indian spices like turmeric, curry powder, and cilantro, as well as some popular Indian garnishes like golden raisins and toasted almonds. Yum!
Curried Cauliflower Rice Pilaf [Vegan]
- 1/2 of 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and transfer them into the grater tube of your food processor or use the large holes on a box grater to shred the florets. Set aside.
- Add the broth (or water) to a small bowl and heat for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Add the raisins to the broth and set aside to plump.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 2 minutes. Stir in the turmeric, curry powder, and salt. Add the cauliflower rice and remaining olive oil and stir until well coated. Turn the heat down to a medium-low and cover tightly with a lid. Cook for 7-10 minutes, stirring every minute or so to prevent browning or sticking. Remove from heat.
- Drain the raisins and add them into the cauliflower mixture. Sprinkle on the toasted almonds and cilantro and serve.