A wonderful hearty soup; creamy and chunky and full of flavor! These bowls of healthy, vegan corn chowder are garnished with roasted delicata squash and fresh-cut chives. This sweet yet savory, balanced soup is a classic for a reason.
Creamy Corn Chowder [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Soup:
- 4 large ears of corn, stripped, kernels cut off cob (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 teaspoon jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 12 ounces silken tofu, organic
- 1/4 cup celery leaves, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh leeks, whites and light greens, cleaned, 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 ½ cups yukon gold potato, peeled, 1/3-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup celery, peeled, 1/3-inch dice
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup soy milk or your favorite non-dairy milk
For the Garnish:
- 1/2 of a delicata squash
- Olive oil
- Maple syrup
- Cut kernels from corn using a sharp or serrated knife, set aside.
- Place jalapeño, silken tofu, and celery leaves in the carafe of a blender. Purée until very creamy, about 30 seconds. Place the purée into a bowl to hold, no need to clean the carafe.
- In a heavy soup pot, add the olive oil, raise heat to medium-low, and add the leeks. Cook, stirring to soften them, about 5 minutes – do not let them color.
- Add the garlic, potatoes, celery, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the corn, give a stir, and cook for just 3 minutes uncovered until the corn is crisp-tender.
- Take the soup off the heat, add the puréed silken tofu mixture and 1/2 cup soy milk – mix in well with a whisk. Cool slightly.
- Place 1/3 of the soup (making sure you get many vegetables) in the carafe of the blender and puree until very smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour into the soup pot and stir to combine. The soup will be creamy, but with a nice chunky texture. You can purée 1/2 the soup and veggies if you like too.
- Taste for salt – this depends on the saltiness of your vegetable broth.
- Let the soup cool. To serve, gently reheat over low heat.
To Make the Garnish:
- Use 1/2 of a delicata squash (the rind is edible). Cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out an discard seeds. Slice into 1/3-inch thick half moons. Roast in a hot 400°F oven after tossing with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook until golden, turning once, about 20 minutes. Drizzle with a little maple syrup.
- When cool, cut into cubes and use as a garnish for the soup.
- Fresh cut chives are also a nice garnish.