In this recipe, bright green asparagus and sunchokes, also known as Jerusalem artichokes, create a light, but flavorful soup. Shallots lend their mellow flavor and a Yukon gold potato makes it irresistibly creamy. Enjoy this sunny yellow soup during the transition into longer, warmer days. Garnish with microgreens, a drizzle of olive oil, and a few turns of freshly cracked black better.
Creamy Asparagus and Sunchoke Soup [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Creamy Asparagus and Sunchoke Soup [Vegan]
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 pound sunchokes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Microgreens, for garnish (optional)
How to Prepare Creamy Asparagus and Sunchoke Soup [Vegan]
- Slice off the tips of the asparagus and reserve. Each should be about 1-1 1/2 inches long. Trim the woody ends of the asparagus and discard. Cut the remaining spears into 1-inch pieces and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, add the shallots, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the shallots soften and become translucent—do not brown the shallots.
- Add the asparagus, potato, and sunchokes to the shallots. Add vegetable broth, cover, and bring just to a boil. Turn down the heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring a cup of water to a boil. Prepare an ice bath by adding 1 cup of ice and 1 cup water into a bowl and set aside.
- Add the asparagus tips to the boiling water and cook for 1-2 minutes, until just tender. Use a slotted spoon or spider to transfer the asparagus tips from the boiling water to the ice bath to shock them and stop the cooking. Set aside until ready to serve.
- When the potatoes, asparagus, and sunchokes are tender, transfer the vegetables and broth to a blender, and purée until smooth. Season with the kosher salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and swirl a teaspoon of olive oil over each bowl. Divide the asparagus tips among the bowls and float them in the soup. Top with a pinch of microgreens, if desired.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.