Coronation chickpea sandwiches, a vegan spin on an all-time classic, it makes the perfect packed lunch or side salad! So if you are looking for some good sandwich ideas, or you are tired of all the vegan sandwiches / vegetarian sandwiches out there, this one's for you! So while coronation chickpeas make a mean filling in between two slices of crusty, freshly-baked sourdough, any bread will work! From fluffy sandwich bread to a dense and tangy rye--be your own sandwich artist. If you want to mix it up, they go great stuffed into a piping hot baked potato or even plain as a side salad.
Coronation Chickpea Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 1 can chickpeas, roughly mashed
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons mango or flavorful chutney of your choice
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins or sultanas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices of bread, sourdough (or anything you have on-hand)
- Drain the can of chickpeas and mash them roughly with a potato ricer, leaving some chickpeas. It may help to heat the chickpeas up in the microwave for a minute or two to make them softer and easier to mash.
- Add the yogurt, mayo, chutney, curry powder, lemon juice, and raisins. Stir this well, then season with salt and pepper.
- Chill this in the fridge as it is best cold!
- When the filling is properly chilled, you can assemble your sandwiches. Add some greens like spinach or kale if you like, or just have it plain!
If you don't have vegan mayo and don't feel like making some, more yogurt will work. But the mayo version is a little tastier, so if you can, try to find some vegan mayo!