Freshly brewed espresso, and coconut milk provide the flavoring for this quinoa breakfast, and a quick brulée on top completes the perfection! If coffee is your addiction, and coconut is your love, then you will appreciate this little gem of a breakfast, that feels and tastes like dessert – the perfect companion for my morning cup of joe. Protein-packed, and rich in fiber from the quinoa, it will keep you full till lunch even though it’s a tiny serving.
Coffee Coconut Quinoa Brulée [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup freshly brewed coffee
- A dash of vanilla
- A dash of coconut extract
- 1-2 chopped dates
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar for the brulée topping
- Combine the freshly brewed coffee, and coconut milk in a small pot, and add the rinsed quinoa, the chopped date if using, a dash of vanilla extract, and optionally a dash of coconut extract.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, and let the quinoa simmer for 15-20 minutes, until it's cooked through and creamy. Add more coconut milk and coffee if needed.
- Distribute among 4 small and shallow dishes.
- Sprinkle about 1/2 tbs sugar on top of each, and using a brulée torch, quickly caramelize the sugar, until you get a crunchy thin crust.
Top with toasted coconut flakes, and some coconut cream for extra sweetness.