Traditionally a southern dish, collard greens are a great way to get your daily dose of green, leafy, veggies. This recipe is great as a main course or alongside an entrée. Garlic, pepper, cumin, and mustard seeds give this recipe a great spice, while coconut balances it out with a delicious creaminess. Customize this dish with your own spice combination, or serve it over quinoa!
Coconut Milk Braised Collard Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Coconut Milk Braised Collard Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 teaspoon whole yellow mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, grated or finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 heaped tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch of collards, thinly sliced
- Sea salt, to taste
- Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar, to serve
How to Prepare Coconut Milk Braised Collard Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Toast the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red pepper flakes in a dry pan set over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until very fragrant. Remove the seeds from the pan and put them into a small food processor. Add the ginger, garlic, and a tiny pinch of salt to the spices, then use a pestle to gently crush everything into a rough paste. Set this mixture aside.
- In a pan set over medium heat, warm the coconut oil. Add the onion, bay leaf, and a pinch of salt. Cook the onion for 5-7 minutes until it starts to turn golden brown. Once the onion has turned golden brown, add the spice paste and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk to the pan. Once the coconut milk comes to a simmer, add a pinch of salt and all of the collard greens. Cover the pot to allow the collards to cook down. Continue to cook the collards in this manner for 12-15 minutes until they are tender, stirring every few minutes.
- When the collards are ready, taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. Serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or a splash of apple cider vinegar.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.