These rustic, classic cookies are better than the real thing! They're easy to make and the best part is that YOU get to control every ingredient that goes into them (and at under 100 calories a cookie how could you go wrong)! Try making these gluten-free, peanut-buttery cookies for a party!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Faux-reos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Whisk together the oat flour, cocoa, coconut sugar, and salt in a bowl until combined. Add the applesauce, coconut oil, and vanilla and mix until you have a cohesive cookie dough. If it seems too dry, add a splash or two of warm water.
- Divide the dough in two, then roll each half into a log about 4 or 5-inches long and roughly an inch and a half in diameter. Wrap each log in plastic then place the dough in the fridge to chill and firm up for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove one log of dough from the fridge. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut off rounds of dough that are about 1/16th of an inch in thickness, then place them on the prepared baking sheet. Once you finish with the first log of dough, do the same process with the second log. The cookies can be placed relatively close together on the sheet as they will not really spread.
- Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes until firm. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on the baking sheet. Depending on how many cookies you are able to cut, you will get between 42 and 48 small cookies (21 to 24 cookies once filled and assembled).
- To make the peanut butter filling, combine the powdered sugar, peanut butter, 3 tablespoons of the milk, and the sea salt in a bowl. Whisk until you get a thick but creamy consistency. If it seems too stiff, add the remaining tablespoon of milk.
- To assemble the cookies, spread a good dollop of the peanut butter filling on a cookie, then press another cookie on top. Repeat with the remaining cookies and filling. Makes about 21 filled cookies.
Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 or 5 days.
- Chocolate Cookie