These easy muffins pack all the flavor of a traditional chocolate orange, in vegan form! At 200 calories a pop, you can definitely indulge a bit!
Chocolate Orange Muffins [Vegan]
For the Dry Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Wet Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup neutral vegetable oil or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/2-3/4 cup dairy free cup chocolate chips
For the Optional Topping:
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease and/or line a 12 cavity muffin tin and set aside
- To a small bowl, add all dry ingredients (flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt) and stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, add all wet ingredients except chocolate chips (milk, sugar, orange juice, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and zest) and whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredient mixture to wet and gently mix until just combined (lumps are okay).
- Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly into prepped muffin tin.
- For the optional topping, combine zest and sugar and stir until thoroughly mixed. Sprinkle onto the tops of the muffins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for several minutes in the muffin pan, then remove and allow to fully cool on a wire cooling rack.