Just a drop of this potent ingredient added the campfire feel that s’mores invoke. Then, topped with chopped dark chocolate that got all melty and luscious, this oatmeal felt even more like a real s’mores than the version that actually had marshmallows.
Chocolate Campfire Oatmeal With Graham Crackers [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup milk of choice or water
- 1/4 cup quick cook steel cut oats
- 1/3 cup grated zucchini + 2 tsp maple syrup OR 1 mashed banana*
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- scant 1/8 teaspoon liquid smoke (honestly, like 1-2 drops)
- pinch of salt
- graham cracker crumbles, for topping
- chopped semi-sweet or dark chocolate, for topping
- chocolate nut butter, for topping
- Bring milk (I use an equal mixture of almond milk and water) to a boil, add oats, and reduce heat to medium.
- Add zucchini and maple syrup, or one mashed banana, to the oatmeal. Stir.
- Once more of the liquid has absorbed, add vanilla extract, liquid smoke, and salt. Stir.
- When you're pleased with the consistency of the oatmeal, transfer to a bowl. Top with graham cracker, chocolate, and chocolate nut butter, if using.