These savory doughnuts are an extremely popular Cantonese street food. They dough is light and crispy and the bean past provides a subtle sweetness to round out the flavor palate. You'll be hard pressed to stop eating this delicious snack.
Chinese 5-Spice Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 28 ounces gluten-free, self-raising flour
- 4 1/2 ounces potato starch
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups rice milk
- Rice bran oil, for deep frying
- Some gluten-free flour, for dusting
- 3 1/2 ounces red bean paste
- 3 1/2 tablespoons white sesame seeds for coating
- Warm the rice milk in a small pot for around 2 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Add in agave and vanilla extract and mix them in well.
- In a large mixing bowl, put in all the dry ingredients and mix the dough well.
- Add the butter into the dry ingredients mixture and rub the cold butter into the flour until well combined.
- Make a well in the middle of the large mixing bowl and gradually pour 1 cup of the warm rice milk mixture into the well.
- Use a spatula to mix the dry and wet ingredients together.
- Then add in the rest of the rice milk mixture gradually as you use your hands to knead the dough until you have a smooth dough that is slightly sticky.
- Cover the dough with cling wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Dust the work surface with some flour.
- Divide the dough equally into 26 round balls.
- Flatten each ball into a disc or patty and shape each patty into a 3-inch round with the middle thicker than the edges.
- Place 1 teaspoon of red bean paste onto the middle of each dough, wrap and pinch the dough together with small amount of water and shape into a smooth ball again.
- Using your fingers, gently flatten the ball into a patty. Hold and rotate the patty as you press gently with your fingers until the patty is around a 1/4-inch thick
- Dust it with some gluten free flour and place it on a large tray. Wet the surface of each patty with some water and sprinkle them generously with some white sesame seeds. Press the white sesame seeds onto the dough with your fingers.
- Heat up a wok half filled with rice bran oil.
- Fry each doughnut for 1 to 2 minutes on each side until they are golden brown.
- Remove and drain the cooked doughnuts on a paper towel.
- Beans - Red