If you're looking for a salad that's crunchy, savory, sweet, and with a little bit of heat, then you have to make this Chinese cabbage salad. It's bright, colorful, practically effortless to throw together, and flavorful. The peanut dressing contains no added sugar with a burst of citrusy flavor from fresh orange and lime juice.
Chinese Cabbage Salad With Tofu and Spicy Peanut Dressing [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 3/4 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded napa cabbage
- 1 cup finely sliced baby bok choy (about 1 small)
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crushed peanuts
- 1/2 cup Chinese noodles
- 1 cup firm tofu, cubed
- 2 tablespoons black sesame seeds
For the Spicy Peanut Sauce Dressing:
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 small cloves garlic, pressed through garlic press
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1-2 teaspoons Sriracha, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Juice of 1/2 an orange
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Prepare the salad by thinly chopping all ingredients and add the cilantro and scallions, to a bowl. For the peanut dressing place all ingredients into a bowl, and whisk together until completely smooth and combined; use immediately, or keep in a covered container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- To make the tofu, throw in a medium size pan on medium-high heat with a drizzle of sesame oil. Cook on each side for 5 minutes to get a good sear. Coat with black sesame seeds.
- To serve, add about 2 tablespoons of the peanut dressing, toss to coat, and top with crushed peanuts and Chinese noodles.