Chili and garlic in bread is a match made in heaven. This naan bread is vegan, gluten-free, easy to make, and tastes divine. It absolutely tastes better than naan bread from a restaurant! It's so fluffy and soft that you won't be able to imagine your life without it after you try it. The perfect side to any Indian dish, or even enjoy it with some guacamole! YUM!
Chili Naan Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour (gluten-free if desired)
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of garlic granules
- 4 tablespoons of light olive oil
- 11 tablespoons non-dairy plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- In a bowl, add in the of water, sugar and dry yeast, mix until combined. Cover with a tea towel and leave for 10 minutes until frothy.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chili flakes, and garlic granules.
- Add the oil, yogurt, and yeast mixture to the flour mixture and combine until dough forms.
- Flour your worktop and knead the dough for around 5 minutes.
Once soft, pop the dough into a large bowl, drizzle with a tablespoon of oil, and cover with some cling film/tea towel and allow to rise. It should double in size. This will take around 2 hours.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper and preheat your oven to 455°F.
- Dust your worktop with flour and knead the dough for a few minutes then divide the dough into 8 balls and place onto the lined baking tray.
Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into oval shapes, and place onto a pizza tray/stone (I used a pizza tray as this helps cook the naan from underneath).
- Sprinkle water over the naan and pop into the oven for around 2-3 minutes until puffy and golden in color.
- You could even broil the naan for a few seconds to crisp.
- Serve whilst warm with a curry or enjoy cool with salad.