These chickpea and spinach burgers are big on spice, with garlic, ginger, cardamom, and chili powder doing most of the work. They’re an easy, gluten-free burger that won’t fall apart on you, thanks to the power combo of chickpea flour and flaxseeds. Serve with sweet potato or yucca fries with whatever garnish you like — you can’t go wrong with these burgers.
Chickpea and Spinach Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds, plus 1/4 cup water
- 1 14/-ounce can chickpeas (1 1/2 cups worth)
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic purée
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- Salt, to taste
- Combine the flaxseeds and water in a bowl and set aside to form a gel.
- Finely slice your onion, and roughly chop your red pepper into small cubes. Add the onion into a pan over high heat with the sunflower oil, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and cardamom pods. Fry for 3-5 minutes, until golden.
- Then, add in your red pepper, ground ginger, chili, ground cumin, ground coriander, garlic puree, tomato purée and lemon juice. Fry for another 3-5 minutes, until soft. Then, set aside briefly to cool down. When this is done, add the mixture into a blender, and blend into a smooth paste.
- Next, transfer the paste into a food processor, and add in the chickpeas, spinach, flaxseed mixture and a pinch of salt. Blend briefly until fairly smooth, but still has the odd piece/whole chickpea in it. Then, add in the chickpea flour, and stir together until evenly mixed.
- Now, divide the mixture into 6 evenly sized sections. Place a pan on a high heat and drizzle with some oil. Press 1/6 of the mixture into a burger shape, and place onto the pan. Fry for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Then repeat until all of your burgers have been made, and serve.