Say hello to the ultimate Southern comfort breakfast. Crispy vegan chickpea chicken on top off fluffy waffles topped with spicy maple syrup! The cutlets are made from a combination of chickpeas and vital wheat gluten, which gives it a satisfying, meaty texture. They're paired with fluffy waffles and a spicy-sweet maple syrup that will have you licking your plate.
‘Chicken’ and Waffles With Spicy Maple Syrup [Vegan]
For the "Chicken":
- 1 14.5-ounce can of chickpeas
- 1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoon no-chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- A dash of salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Oil, for frying
For the Waffles:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons water
For the Spicy Maple Syrup:
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
To Make the "Chicken":
- Drain the chickpeas, and pour into a large mixing bowl. Mash pretty well, with a potato masher or a fork. You want a little texture, but mostly all mashed.
- Add the vital wheat gluten, the broth, and all the seasonings. Mash all together, your hands may be the best tool for this. Mash and knead slightly until everything is combined and forms a dough.
- Shape into finger-like shapes, so they look like chicken fingers.
- Heat about 1-1 1/2 inches of oil in a pan to about 300-350°F.
- Dredge the "chicken" in the cornstarch, and pat off excess. Once oil is hot, fry on each side for a few minutes until golden brown on each side.
Go Make the Waffles:
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Stir together.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add vanilla and oil and whisk together. Set aside.
- Add the apple cider vinegar to the almond milk, and let sit for a few minutes until it curdles slightly creating vegan buttermilk.
- Make the flax eggs, by adding the flax meal to the water, whisk and let thicken for a minute.
- Add the vegan buttermilk and flax eggs to the oil and vanilla.
- Whisk all together until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk until fully combined and smooth.
- Heat your waffle iron, and cook waffles according to your waffle iron's instructions.
- When the "chicken" and waffles are ready, whisk together the maple syrup and cayenne to make the spicy syrup.
- Serve a waffle with some "chicken" on top, and pour the syrup over all of it.