This savory tart has big flavor in every bite. It starts with a rustic whole wheat and oat crust seasoned with fresh rosemary. It's topped with a fresh parsley and walnut pesto, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes that get juicy when roasted.
Cherry Tomato and Pesto Tart [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 rosemary twig, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup soy milk
For the Tart:
- 20-25 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 7 ounces jarred roasted red peppers
- 2 big garlic cloves
- 1/2 bunch parsley and fresh mint
- 1 tablespoons walnuts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 3.5 ounces potato, cooked and mashed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Crust:
- In a baking sheet lined with parchment paper roast for 8 minutes sesame seeds and rolled oats. Allow to cool. In a food processor place oats, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, rosemary, baking powder, and flour.
- Pulse until finely ground. In a bowl combine oil with the non-dairy milk. Mix in the dry ingredients and form a dough. Allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a surface dusted with flour and transfer the crust to a tart pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate to make the filling.
To Make the Tart:
- In a blender place peppers, walnuts, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, herbs, salt, and pepper. Pulse until creamy. Transfer pesto in a bowl and combine it with mashed potato. Spread the pesto mixture on the crust.
- Lay down zucchini slices and then the cherry tomatoes. Brush them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in preheated oven at 355°F for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Crust adapted from Anja's Food 4 Thought.