Recreate an eggy and comforting breakfast with this savory tofu, avocado, and caramelized onion sandwich. In addition to being a savory delight, it’s filling and protein-packed. Yum!
Cheesy Tofu Breakfast Bagel [Vegan]
- Everything bagel or bagel of choice
- 1/2 of 1 12-ounce block of extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, for cooking tofu
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- Avocado, as needed for topping
- 1/2 of 1 red onion
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Remove excess liquid from tofu block by using a tofu press or simply placing tofu between paper towels or clean dish towel for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice tofu into thin squares, and place in hot skillet with a 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil.
- Pan cook for about 5-8 minutes on each side, turning every 2 minutes to avoid sticking.
- Once tofu is slightly crispy on both sides, sprinkle evenly with turmeric and salt and remove from heat.
- While tofu is cooking, slice red onion into big chunks and pan cook with a little coconut oil. Use medium to low heat and let them turn to a translucent and slightly brown color.
- Remove onion from heat and set aside.
- Cut bagel, and place cheddar cheese on one side of the bagel, then toast to desired crispiness, allowing the cheese to melt slightly.
- Stack 3-4 tofu squares, grilled onion, avocado, and add ketchup and vegan mayonnaise. Slice in half if desired.
Just double the recipe if you're making it for two.