This cheesy quiche makes for a great dinner dish. While this recipe is delicious as is, broccoli and peppers would also work well. Make a couple of these to pop in the freezer and enjoy gooey, melty deliciousness all week (or month) long!
Cheesy Leek Quiche [Vegan]
For the Pastry:
- 1 1/2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tahini
- 1/2 cup water
For the Filling:
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water
- 1 small-medium leek
- 1/2 cup cashews
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove
- 5 tablespoons arrowroot powder
To Make the Pastry:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt.
- Stir through the tahini, then use your fingertips to crumble it through evenly.
- Stir in the water, then use your hands to knead the dough for a few minutes until smooth. Add more water or flour if needed.
- Roll the pastry onto a sheet of baking paper to a thickness of about 3-5 millimeter.
- Line a baking tray with the pastry and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
To Make the Filling:
- Finely chop the leek. Add the leek and 1 tablespoon of water to a frying pan.
- Over a low-medium heat, fry the leek until it starts to brown.
- Meanwhile, blend the remaining ingredients: 2 cups water, cashews, lemon juice, salt, garlic, and arrowroot powder.
- Add the blended mixture to the frying pan with the leek.
- Continue to cook while stirring until the cheesy mixture thickens, should take about 1 minute.
- Pour the cheesy leek mixture into the pastry.
- You can fold over the remaining pastry, like a galette, or trim if desired.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm or chilled.