Hot chocolate is the ultimate comforting drink. But chocolate can be quite drying and aggravating to vata dosha. Try raw cacao powder with a pinch of cardamom and ghee to reduce the stimulating effects. Feel free to make this drink with carob powder in place of the cacao. Carob is a more sattvic alternative to chocolate that has a similar rich and earthy flavor.
Chai Hot Chocolate [Vegan]
- 2 cups hot milk (organic raw dairy milk or nondairy milk of choice)
- 2–3 tablespoons raw cacao powder or carob powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground clove
- In a small pot, heat the milk on low heat to bring just under a boil.
- Transfer to a high-speed blender and add the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until creamy. Pour into a mug and enjoy hot.