With their mild nutty flavor and buttery texture, cashews are ideal for making non-dairy cream, purée, spreads and butter. And yes, they are good for you. This velvety purée has only three ingredients: raw cashews, water and a bit of oil.
Cashew Puree [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil such as canola or vegetable oil (for desserts) or olive oil (for savory)
- Soak the cashews in a bowl with water – just enough to cover them. Cover and soak overnight. Alternatively, for a quick soak, cover the cashews with boiling water, put a lid on and soak for 2 hours. An even quicker soaking method is to put the raw cashews and water in a small microwaveable bowl with a lid on and microwave on high heat for 3 minutes.
- When cashews are soft, with a fine mesh sieve, strain the water and rinse them under running tap water.
- Put the softened cashews in the bowl of your blender (a small blender, like a NutriBullet works best) and add the 1/4 cup of water and 3 tablespoons of oil.
- Whizz for 2 to 3 minutes until you obtain a creamy, velvety purée. Use a small rubber spatula or spoon to remove the purée from the blender. It will come out nicely given the smooth texture it has.