These Caramelized Pecan Cacao Chocolate Chip Cookies are over the moon delicious. The caramelized pecans deliver a wonderful crunchy topping adding depth to the cookie. They are free of refined sugar, gluten and eggs.
Caramelized Pecan Cacao Chocolate Chip Cookies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Maple Pecans
- 2 Cups Raw Pecans
- 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
For the Cookies
- 2 Cups Maple Caramelized Pecans
- 1 Cup White Rice Flour
- 3/4 Cup Buckwheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds - ground
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 + 1/8 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 3/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter 1 Stick - salted - room temperature
- 1/4 cup liquid Cacao Butter - melted
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tablespoons Maple Syrup
- 1/2 Teaspoon Coffee or Almond Extract
- 4 oz 70% 85% or 100% Cacao Chocolate Chips
For the Maple Pecans:
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees and place rack in the middle of the oven.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all the ingredients to a cast iron or a saute pan and cook over medium heat.
- As soon as the syrup starts to bubble, stir continuously. They will start to get really sticky.
- When all the moisture is gone and the syrup in the pan just starts to become golden brown, remove from heat. (about 8 minutes)
- Spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Separate them as best you can.
- Place the pecans in the oven on the middle rack for 8 minutes. Remove and let cool completely.
- Roughly chop up the pecans and reserve a cup and set the rest aside. Mince the reserved half cup and set aside.
For the Dough:
- In a large bowl, mix together the rice and buckwheat flours, cacao powder, chia, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a small pan, melt the cacao butter on low heat.
- In a food processor with metal blade or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, maple syrup and extract together.
- Slowly add the melted cacao butter. Mix until incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix everything together.
- Scrape down the sides at least once.
- Pour into a medium-size bowl and stir in the chocolate chips and the cup of pecans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a one-ounce cookie scooper, scoop up the dough and level it flat then release the scoop onto the parchment. Alternatively, use a tablespoon and measure out two tablespoons of dough.
- Make sure to level them out flat in the measuring spoon.
- Roll them into a ball.
- With your fingers. take a big pinch of the minced pecans and press them into the top of the cookies as best that you can. They don't have to be perfect.
- Place on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 13 - 14 minutes.
- When finished baking, place the baking sheet on a wire rack and let cool completely.
The pecans can be a little bit of a challenge to get onto the top of the cookies. Whatever falls off just try to press back in. It's ok if half is on the baking sheet.