Cactus pears or prickly pears come in a number of varieties and colors. The sweet deep red variety is the one most commonly found in grocery stores and it's what was used to give this sorbet its gorgeous magenta color. Its flavor is dense, with a watermelon-like texture and raspberry-watermelon flavor make it an excellent choice for this sweet sorbet.
Cactus Pear Sorbet [Vegan]
- 2 1/2 pounds cactus pears (about 7-9 pears), skinned and chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Place cactus pears in a blender and pulse until smooth. Combine sugar, water, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Warm mixture over medium heat, until the sugar is dissolved. Add simple syrup and lemon juice to pears and blend until smooth. Pour mixture into a bowl through a sieve.
- Chill about 4 hours, or up to overnight, then freeze using ice cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions. Let set completely in the freezer.
Yields 3 cups of sorbet.