The pure, clean scent of sage complements butternut squash like a dream. Topped with toasted hazelnuts, the flavors in this butternut squash risotto are transcendent.
Butternut Squash Risotto With Sage and Toasted Hazelnuts [Vegan]
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4-6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash, mashed or puréed (you can roast a squash in advance and keep it in the fridge, then just scoop out the insides)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan butter (optional)
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, for topping
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4-6 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the rice and stir so that the rice is coated with the oil and onion mixture.
- Add the wine and it let it cook for a minute or two, then add a cup of the vegetable broth.
- Stir frequently and add more broth as the rice soaks it up. Taste the rice as it begins to soften to test whether it’s done. It should take 20 to 30 minutes.
- Towards the end of the cooking process, add the nutritional yeast and spices.
- Turn off the heat and mash in the squash.
- Stir in the vegan butter (if using), and add salt and pepper to taste. Top with toasted hazelnuts and serve.