This burger packs all the best fall veggies and herbs while making sure to include tons of nutrients and no processed ingredients. The recipe uses affordable ingredients and requires minimal effort. If you have an affinity for fall eats then this burger will be your saving grace.
Butternut Squash Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Butternut Squash Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Burger:
- 3 cups uncooked butternut squash, diced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cups apples, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oats, quick or rolled
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 14-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted and crushed
- 3 cups arugula
- 3 avocados
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
For the Shiitake Bacon:
- 1 packages of Shiitakes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
For the Pickled Red Onions:
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 3 cups white vinegar
How to Prepare Butternut Squash Burger [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
To Make the Pickled Red Onions:
- Slice the onions, throw them in a jar of vinegar, and let them sit overnight.
To Make the Shiitake Bacon:
- Slice the mushrooms and coat them in all the ingredients
- Bake them in the oven at 250°F for 30 minutes.
- Rotate the mushrooms midway so they cook evenly. They should come out crispy but not hard.
To Make the Burger:
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the squash, chopped onion, and roughly chopped apples to the baking sheet.
- Toss them with olive oil to coat and season them with salt and pepper.
- Place your coated ingredients in the oven for 20 minutes. Toss them with a spatula and return them to the oven for an addition 15-20 minutes or until the mixture begins to brown then remove it from the oven and set the ingredients aside.
- Place the oats in the bowl of a food processor. Process until a fine flour is achieved.
- Now add the minced garlic, sage, thyme, chickpeas, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and the roasted ingredients to the food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients 10-15 times to combine them. You may have to do this in batches.
- Remove the mixture from food processor and toss in your dried cranberries and smashed toasted pecans.
- Shape the mixture into six patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat it with a drizzle of olive. Cook veggie burgers for 6 minutes and then flip burgers and continue to cook them for an additional 4-6 minutes.
- Serve them warm and top them with arugula, vegan mayo, avocado, shiitake bacon, and pickled red onions.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
- Butternut Squash
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 3448 | Total Carbs: 380 g | Total Fat: 191 g | Total Protein: 85 g | Total Sodium: 4132 g | Total Sugar: 71 g Per Serving: Calories: 575 | Carbs: 63 g | Fat: 32 g | Protein: 14 g | Sodium: 689 mg | Sugar: 12 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.