This curry is a creative way to use your citrus peels and an easy meal to whip up quickly. The curry is rich, creamy, and has just the right amount of spice and the perfume from the orange peel make this a really special treat.
Blood Orange Tofu Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Peel of 2 blood oranges, sliced finely
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chilis, de-seeded and sliced
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups water (or juice of 1 blood orange, topped up to with water)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 7 ounces tofu, sliced
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook them until the onions have softened.
- Add the salt, the chilies, and the tomato purée and cook it for 2-3 minutes. If the mixture is too thick, add a little water.
- Add the spices, making sure everything is coated.
- Add the clementine peel, the water/orange juice, and the maple syrup and cook for 5-10 minutes. Then transfer the mixture to a blender and mix it until it's smooth.
- Return the mixture to the pan and add the tofu.
- Cook this for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove it from the heat and add the fresh coriander