These green beans make an amazing side for your holiday meal, or for any meal for that matter! Not your basic boring green beans, with the crispy blistered texture and the pop of flavor from the preserved lemon - this dish is sure to impress any guest!
Blistered Green Beans with Preserved Lemon and Parsley [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons
- 1 pound fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed & patted completely dry
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons preserved lemon, cut into thin slivers about 1-in long
- 1/4 cup loosely packed Italian parsley, stems removed & roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/6 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over high heat until simmering. Add the dry green beans into the oil and cook about 5-6 minutes until browned on one side. The dryer the beans are, the less the oil will spatter from the water.
- Using tongs, turn the beans carefully and spread them evenly across the skillet so they brown on both sides. Continue to cook another 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally to prevent burning and ensure they’re browned evenly. In the last minute, add the preserved lemon, slivered almonds, salt and pepper.
- Toss to coat and cook for another minute. Turn heat off. Let sit in the hot pan on the stovetop for 2-3 minutes.
- While the beans sit, combine 2 tbsp olive oil, the lemon juice and parsley in a small bowl. Whisk together with a fork until well combined. Set aside until ready to use.
- To serve, arrange the green beans onto a serving dish. Pour the lemon/parsley mixture overtop. Garnish with a crumbling of vegan feta.