Typically, a Reuben sandwich is made with corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese all slapped together between a couple of saucy slices of rye bread. This beaut' is very similar, just veg-ified. Nice thinly sliced beets and turnip instead of the corned beef, fermented cashew cheese instead of regular Swiss and some seriously punchy raw sauerkraut. Pretty simple, really. Rye bread specifically adds a level of nuttiness, a dense earthy molasses-y flavour that is perfect for the punchiness of the sauerkraut. The sauce, which is a tangy delight, just tops it all off.
Best Beet Reuben [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Best Beet Reuben [Vegan]
- 5 small beets (I used 3 red beets, 1 candy beet + 1 scarlet turnip)
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 cups sauerkraut
- 1/4-1/3 cup gherkins
- Fresh horseradish root
- Fresh rye bread
- 3 teaspoons grainy mustard
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Splash of pickle juice
- 2 heaping tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (cashew cream works well too!)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon organic ketchup
- Fermented cashew cheese* (use recipe linked here or see the notes for another version!)
How to Prepare Best Beet Reuben [Vegan]
- Wash and trim the beets.
- Wash the apples and dice the gherkins.
- Using a very sharp knife or a mandolin slicer, slice the beets as thinly as possible.
- Add them to a large mixing bowl along with the grainy mustard, water, vinegar, and pickle juice.
- Season with salt and set aside for at least an hour.
- While the beets marinate, using a small food processor or whisk combine the vegan mayonnaise, smoked paprika, organic ketchup and the diced gherkins until it forms a cohesive mixture, season if necessary.
- Once the beets have sat for at least an hour, slice the rye two pieces per person; arrange on a cookie sheet and warm in the oven for a few minutes – just warmed, not toasted.
- Get a frying pan hot on the stove top, add the sliced beets with as much of the soaking liquid as needed to ensure none of the beets stick. Just warm them, the idea is to have them raw but warmer than room temp.
- Once the beets are warm transfer them to a dry plate or bowl.
- Thinly slice the apples.
- Lay out each slice of bread, adding some of the pre-made gherkin sauce to each slice. Then cashew cheese, sauerkraut, Granny Smith and finally the warmed beets.
- Grate fresh horseradish root over the whole sandwich.
- Top with second piece of bread and serve!
- These sandwiches are designed to be thick, fresh rye will hold together perfectly so get those babes totally loaded!
*Cashew cheese may be purchased at some local health food stores. My go-to recipe is 1 cup of cashews to about 1/4 cup of water (the least amount of water needed to get the cashews completely smooth when blended) + the contents of one probiotic capsule. I let the cheese ferment in a cheesecloth sitting in a strainer over a bowl for up to 3 days depending entirely on smell. Once the cheese smells tangy and has small air bubbles within it when broken apart, I add a touch of lemon juice, some salt, nutritional yeast and turmeric. It then sits in the fridge in a ring mold for two days before slicing. This recipe is based on that by Matthew Kenney*
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.