These sloppy joes are healthier than the originals yet still fill you with all of the comforts of childhood. Lentils pack enough meaty flavor to make these sloppy joes taste like the real thing, bell peppers add another layer of texture, and the thick tomato paste makes it deliciously saucy. Use organic ketchup to avoid excess corn syrup and sugar and then dig in!
Bell Pepper and Lentil Sloppy Joes [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green and red bell peppers
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Hamburger rolls, for serving
- Melt coconut oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and peppers and sauté until softened. Add water. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to simmer. Stir in lentils. Cook 25-30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Add ketchup, mustard, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Serve on hamburger rolls.