These tacos tick all the boxes. Smoky? Check! Spicy? Check! A little bit crispy? Check! Totally fun to look at and eat? Double check. Yes, these crispy tofu with crisp slaw, mung beans, and corn wrapped up in a vibrant homemade beet tortilla are all that and more. Dig in!
Beet Tacos With Mung Beans With Blackened Tofu, Radish Slaw, and Crispy Corn [Vegan]
2 as a starter
Ingredients You Need for Beet Tacos With Mung Beans With Blackened Tofu, Radish Slaw, and Crispy Corn [Vegan]
For the Tacos:
- 1/4 cup white flour
- 2 tablespoons beet powder (see notes)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Tofu:
- 1/2 a block of tofu, pressed
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- A pinch of salt
For the Radish Slaw:
- 8 radishes, sliced finely
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For the Mung Beans:
- 1/2 cup mung beans
- Corn nuts or crispy corn
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Hot sauce of choice
How to Prepare Beet Tacos With Mung Beans With Blackened Tofu, Radish Slaw, and Crispy Corn [Vegan]
- First, place the rinsed mung beans in a saucepan and add enough water so that the level is 1-2 inches above the beans. Bring this to a boil and allow to cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prep the tofu. Press it well, and once it is ready, cut it into cubes. Place the tofu cubes into a shallow bowl or baking pan and pour the soy sauce over it, and leave it to marinate for about 30 minutes, flipping the cubes halfway.
- As the tofu soaks up the soy sauce, prep the taco shells. Sift together the flour, beet powder, and salt and make a well in the middle. Add the water and knead into a smooth, elastic ball, about 5-8 minutes of kneading. Divide this into 4-6 balls, and roll each out into a thin circular disk. Set aside for now.
- To make the radish slaw, slice the radishes into very thin slices, and toss in the lemon juice and sugar, leave this to infuse and soften as you continue with the tofu. Preheat the oven to 355°F. Add all the spices, pepper, and salt to a plate and use a spoon to mix well. Take each tofu cube out of the marinade and toss in the spice mixture, then place on a baking tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes. You can also fry these in a nonstick pan or grill with some oil.
- As the tofu cooks, finish up your tacos. Heat up a non-stick frying pan and cook each taco on each side until bubbly and browned. Leave the cooked tacos on a plate, covered, so that they don't dry out.
- When all your components are ready you can assemble. Place a layer of mung beans, topped with a few tofu cubes, some radish slaw, and garnish generously with cilantro and crispy corn kernels.
If you do not have beet powder, just replace all the water with beet juice, which those pre-cooked beetroot packets are full of.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Total Calories: 915 | Total Carbs: 128 g | Total Fat: 12 g | Total Protein: 65 g | Total Sodium: 5966 g | Total Sugar: 23 g Per Serving: Calories: 458 | Carbs: 64 g | Fat: 6 g | Protein: 33 g | Sodium: 2983 mg | Sugar: 12 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.