Having a barbecue? Ditch the heavy meat skewers for something a bit lighter but just as flavorful, like these bbq-seasoned tofu and squash skewers! They contain mushroom, zucchini, and squash, all of which are marinated in a savory marinade. Serve with your favorite condiments or try out the tasty red pepper dip included in this recipe!
BBQ Tofu and Squash Skewers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for BBQ Tofu and Squash Skewers [Vegan]
For the Skewers:
- Butternut squash
- Mushrooms of your choice
- 2 zucchini
- 1 13.5-ounce package of firm tofu
- A bit of flour of your choice
For the Marinade:
- Soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon BBQ seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 orange
- A splash of Sriracha or hot sauce of your choice
For the Red Pepper Dip:
- 2 medium sized red peppers
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Juice from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- A large handful of pine nuts
- 1/8 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
How to Prepare BBQ Tofu and Squash Skewers [Vegan]
- Peel the butternut squash, cut in half, remove the seeds, and chop up into bite-sized pieces for the skewers. Boil for 10 minutes. Once done, take them out of the water and let cool down or run under some cold water.
- In the meantime, remove the seeds from the red peppers, chop them up, and add them into a blender with all other marinade ingredients. Make sure you don't add too much water as the peppers are already quite watery and you don't want the dip to be too liquid. Blend until you get a smooth texture.
- Once done blending, pour the mixture into a pot and cook for a few minutes for the flavors to really come out. Make sure you keep stirring so it doesn't burn.
- Now, press your tofu and cut it into bite size cubes.
- For the marinade, add all ingredients into a small bowl (just big enough for the tofu cubes to be marinated) and stir to mix it up.
- Put some flour on a separate plate and then dunk your tofu cubes into the marinade. Make sure it's covered on all sides with marinade. Move over to the plate and carefully coat the cubes in flour. Keep the marinade for the next step.
- Cut the zucchini into thick slices, chop up your mushrooms, and start assembling your skewers adding also the butternut squash and tofu. Using a spoon, drizzle the marinade over the vegetables (not the tofu).
- Put the skewers on the grill, let them sizzle, and serve.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per Skewer: Calories: 149 | Carbs: 13 g | Fat: 9 g | Protein: 9 g | Sodium: 419 mg | Sugar: 5 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.