Baked tempeh dripping with sweet and spicy BBQ sauce served on a whole-wheat bun and topped with crispy coleslaw! It's basically the vegan version of the McRib!
BBQ Tempeh and Coleslaw Sandwiches [Vegan]
- 8-ounce package tempeh, sliced
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 cups cabbage slaw with carrots (I used a bag of chopped cabbage and carrots, but you can chop your own!)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a shallow dish arrange tempeh slices. Cover with BBQ sauce, toss to coat. Let marinate for at least 45 minutes.
- Transfer to a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes covered, then another 5 minutes uncovered.
- Meanwhile, add chopped cabbage/carrots, diced red onion, apple cider vinegar, sugar and vegan mayo to a bowl. Stir until well combined. Season with sea salt and pepper. Let marinate in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Assemble sandwiches with tempeh and a scoop of slaw and enjoy!