These rich and meaty suckers will come through for you on a hot spring day when the burger craving hits. Rich, meaty, and mushroom-y with a hit of smoky BBQ sauce to make them fresh-off-the-grill satisfying. The ingredient list is minimal, yes, but the flavor is maximum greatness. Spoon them with some caramelized onions, a dollop of vegan mayo, and extra BBQ sauce. Definitely, definitely put them between two buns and eat them in the blazing sun with a generous side of baked french fries.
BBQ Brown Rice and Portobello Burgers [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/4 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups Portobello mushrooms, small diced, stems removed
- 1/2 yellow onion, small diced
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 3 tablespoons walnuts
- 1 heaping tablespoon quick oats
- 2-3 tablespoons BBQ sauce plus more for topping
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Optional toppings: brioche burger buns, caramelized onions, vegan goat cheese, vegan cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomato, vegan mayonnaise
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and mushrooms. Cook for 5-7, until they are golden brown and glistening.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor add the oats, chia seeds, and walnuts and pulse for 10 seconds to make a rough flour. Add the brown rice, cooked mushrooms and onions, the BBQ sauce, tamari, cumin and salt and pepper. Pulse about 12-15 times until the mixture starts to clump together. Taste and add more BBQ sauce, salt, or cumin if you like it more salty or spicy.
- Use damp hands to form four equal-sized burgers and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Mixture will be wet but not difficult to form.
- Bake for 24-27 min, until the burgers have crisped up nicely on the outside.
- Serve right away with your favorite burger toppings.