Soooo delicious and comforting – not to mention ready faster than you can say where’s my other fluffy slipper?! Gnocchi is usually a sure-fire hit with everyone. If you have the time to make gnocchi from scratch, all the better. If not, a packet of store-bought gnocchi (checking the label to make sure it’s vegan), and you’ll be whipping up this incredibly simple and easy mid-week dinner in no time!
Pumpkin, Arugula and ‘Goat Cheese’ Gnocchi [Vegan]
- 2 cups chopped Pumpkin
- 1 cup Vegetable Stock/Broth
- 1 Garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- ⅓ small Red Chili, chopped (optional)
- ½ medium Brown Onion
- 2 cups Arugula leaves, rinsed
- 500g/17.6oz packet of Gnocchi (check ingredients for vegan & gluten-free)
- ½ cup raw Cashews
- ¼ cup raw Macadamias
- ¼ cup raw Pine Nuts (or more Macadamias but the flavour is better with a mix)
- ¼ cup filtered Water
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch Sea Salt & Cracked Black Pepper
- Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
- Fresh Herbs, chopped
- At least an hour or two before you are ready to make this (or overnight), pop the ‘Goat Cheese’ nuts into a large bowl of water and allow to soak.
- When you are ready to make this dish, drain nuts and combine all ‘Goat Cheese’ ingredients in a high-speed blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy and then transfer mixture to a small bowl or jar.
- Heat vegetable stock in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic, chilli, onion and pumpkin, and simmer until pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from heat, allow to cool slightly (for safety), and blend in batches until smooth and creamy.
- Return blended pumpkin sauce to the pot, season with sea salt and fresh black pepper, and place over low heat.
- In a second pot, bring 4 cups of water to the boil over high heat.
- Carefully add gnocchi (watch out for hot splashes!) and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes until gnocchi rises to the top.
- Remove gnocchi from heat, strain, and divide among plates or bowls.
- Remove sauce from heat and pour evenly over pasta.
- Garnish with ‘Goat cheese’, fresh herbs and pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!