If you’ve never had a Bakewell tart then you are in for a treat! Expect a flaky shortbread pastry shell, spread thick with a layer of jam followed by an almond filling layer (frangipane), then sprinkled with almond slivers. It’s sweet, fruity, and nutty. This is a scrumptious Bakewell tart recipe! This vegan Bakewell tart is made with a shortcrust shell, a layer of raspberry chia jam, and frangipane filling. It's deliciously sweet, fruity, almondy, and scrumptious!
Bakewell Tart [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt finely ground
- 1/2 cup vegan butter cold
- 1/4 cup water cold
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Filling:
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter soft
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup raspberry chia jam (or store bought jam)
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/3 cup almonds sliced
- Icing sugar to sprinkle optional
- Prepare the crust: In a food processor with the S-blade attached, combine flour, cane sugar, and sea salt. Cut vegan butter into small chunks and add to the mixing bowl. Pulse a few times to lightly mix the ingredients then add the water and vanilla extract and pulse again, a few times to form a crumbly dough.(You can also prepare the dough by hand in a large mixing bowl. Combine all the ingredients and massage with your hands to form a crumbly dough).
- Transfer dough onto a clean work surface and knead with hands to form a dough ball. Cover with reusable wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly sprinkle work surface with flour and roll the dough into a thin round sheet, to be about 1-inch larger than your tart pan in circumference (I used an 11 inch x 1 inch). Optional to lightly sprinkle the dough with flour to stop the rolling pin from sticking.
- Gently lift and transfer the crust sheet to your tart pan and press well into the nooks and crannies along the bottom and up the sides. Patch any cracks with extra dough. Bake crust for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Then reduce heat to 375°F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, prepare filling by combining almond flour, all-purpose flour, soft vegan butter, maple syrup, coconut yogurt, arrowroot powder, baking powder, vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon zest in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix together until smooth and creamy.
- Lather the base of the tart shell with raspberry chia jam, and fill with almond filling. Press raspberries into the batter and sprinkle with sliced almonds. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the top is lightly golden and the tart is semi-firm to the touch. Let cool for a few minutes, then pop out of the tart pan. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.