If you love pizza and you love baked ziti, why not try them together? This pizza combines all the goodness of baked ziti with the convenience of a crispy pizza crust! Try making this for the next party you go to, we guarantee that it won't last long.
Baked Ziti Pizza [Vegan]
- 3/4 chopped white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups ziti, al dente
- 3/4 vegan mozzarella
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan cheese (recipe below)
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Add all ingredients into the food processor and pulse until crumbly and combined.
- Heat oven to 425°F degrees. If using a pizza stone, place it in the oven to warm up. A regular cookie sheet will also work but no need to warm that up. Cook pasta until al dente, or 2 minutes less than the suggested cooking time. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain pasta.
- Heat large sauté pan over medium heat. Coat with some olive oil and heat oil. Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, pepper flakes, basil, and salt over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato paste and the 1/4 cup reserved pasta water. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust seasonings to taste. Stir in drained pasta and heat together for one minute.
- Par-bake the pizza crust for 3-4 minutes. This is to help the bottom and the crust get a little crunchy action going on — if you do not do this the pizza crust will remain soft.
- Then top with the pizza with marinara sauce and the mozzarella cheese and put back in the over for another 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted (the melt time will vary depending on what vegan cheese you are using). It's important to get pizza or marinara sauce that is thick, if its too watery the pizza crust will not get crunchy. If needed, you can strain the sauce to remove some excess liquid before topping on the pizza.
- Remove the pizza from the oven once more, top it will the pasta, cover it with the mozzarella and vegan parmesan and then put back in the over for another 3-4 minutes. Remove, garnish, slice, and serve