Making a delicious and healthy tomato sauce shouldn’t be a complicated matter – just throw a few things in a pot and let it simmer until you need it. And like the minimalist I am, I like using one basic tomato sauce, no matter what tomato based dish I’m cooking. Why complicate things? This is seriously the only tomato sauce you'll ever need!
The Only Tomato Sauce You’ll Ever Need [Vegan]
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- A couple of tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4-6 dates (depending on size), chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper (black and white)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 1/4 cups tomato puree
- Cook the onion and garlic in a bit of water for a few minutes, until slightly transparent.
- Add the tomato paste, dates, and spices, and stir for a few minutes.
- Pour in the tomato puree and let simmer under a lid until you’re ready for it. the flavors just deepen the longer it simmers, so there’s no rush to serve.
- Serve as is, or add whatever flavor you want to go with the dish you’re making.