Tofu is cubed and then baked until golden on the outside and soft on the inside, then tossed with toasted hazelnuts and a creamy butternut squash sauce in this delicious fall salad. Toasted hazelnuts add a nutty flavor and crunchy texture that pairs perfectly with the soft baked tofu. This is hearty enough to be served as a main course or it can be served as a side. Garnish with black pepper and fresh herbs for even more flavor.
Baked Tofu With Butternut Squash Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Baked Tofu With Butternut Squash Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 14-ounce pack extra firm tofu, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
- 2 cups butternut squash, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 whole red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, finely sliced
How to Prepare Baked Tofu With Butternut Squash Sauce and Toasted Hazelnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 370°F. Prepare two cookie sheets with a liner/parchment paper.
- On one cookie sheet, spread the tofu pieces and on the other, spread the hazelnuts.
- Put the cookie sheets in the oven and bake. Bake hazelnuts for 5-7 minutes and tofu for 20 minutes, until light golden brown in color.
- In the meantime, combine water and squash in a saucepan. Cover and boil for 5 minutes, or until the squash pieces are soft.
- When the squash is tender, let it cool for a while and grind into a smooth paste.
- In a bowl combine salt, black pepper, rosemary, lemon juice, and squash purée and keep it aside.
- When the hazelnuts are done, remove from the oven. Let the nuts cool and rub gently between palms or use a paper towel to remove the skin.
- In a salad bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix gently so that the tofu retains its shape.
- Garnish with more hazelnuts and/or rosemary and serve immediately.
- This salad tastes great when warm, but can be served at room temperature also.
Make sure to drain and press the water out of tofu so that tofu ca be baked in less time and it is firm enough to be mixed into a salad. Make sure to bake the hazelnuts only for 5-7 minutes or else it will get burned very easily. Feel free to use dried and/or fresh rosemary herbs. It adds to the flavor of the salad.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Per serving: 294 calories | 18g fat | 20g carbs | 20g proteinNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.