You will fall in love with these delicious, fast, and simple homemade falafel at first bite! Made with lentils, they are protein-packed, gluten-free, and flavored with a wealth of spices like cumin, coriander, fresh cilantro, and parsley. Pair these delicious falafel with your favorite greens and other fresh veggies.
Baked Lentil Falafel [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed, plus 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup dry red lentils, soaked overnight in water, strained, rinsed and well drained
- 1 bunch parsley, discard thick stems
- 1 bunch cilantro, discard thick stems
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion
- 1/2-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste, optional
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-4 tablespoons chickpea flour (or almond meal or oat flour), for binding
- Mix ground flaxseed and water in a small cup, set aside and let mixture thicken for at least 5 minutes.
- Pulse lentils in a food processor until coarsely ground.
- Add parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion, and pepper flakes, and pulse a few more times to mix
- Add flaxseed mixture, tomato paste, tahini, olive oil, salt, cumin, coriander, ginger and turmeric, and process until mixture is almost smooth and forms a thick paste, be careful not to over process it.
- Taste mixture and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Add baking powder, and chickpea flour one tablespoon at a time until the mixture holds together, it should still be fairly moist.
- Refrigerate mixture for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a spoon or ice-cream scoop, scoop about 2 tablespoons of mixture and place on prepared baking sheet, repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Spray falafels with a light coat of olive oil and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve on flat bread with your favorite toppings or crumble over salad or coleslaw with tahini dressing.