Oven baked falafel is a yummy and healthier way of cooking this classic fan favorite. Who doesn't love falafel? Baking instead of frying cuts back on oil while still providing amazing flavor. This recipe utilizes whole food ingredients to maximize nutritional value, and is a great dish packed with protein and fiber!
Baked Falafel [Vegan]
- 1 can of chickpea
- Sea salt to taste
- Coriander powder to taste
- 3 to 4 stalks of fresh parsley
- 1 medium-sized red onion (or white onion)
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder (or baking soda)
- 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour (plain chickpea or white flour may also be used)
- Red hot chili pepper powder to taste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon o extra virgin olive oil (sunflower oil or melted extra virgin coconut oil also works)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of white sesame seeds for garnishing (optional)
- If you use raw chickpeas instead of canned, you must soak them in room temperature water for about 12-15 hours.
- Put them in a high speed blender or food processor and blend until the mixture is like a thick paste.Don't blend too much. When there are some pieces of chickpeas in the mixture the texture and taste are better.
- Peel and dice the red or white onion.Also peel and chop the garlic cloves.Cut the fresh parsley.
- Add the diced onion and chopped garlic clove and parsley to the blender with blended chickpeas.
- Add some salt of your choice,1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander seasoning,the cumin powder,whole wheat flour,baking powder or baking soda and a little bit of red hot chili pepper powder.
- Blend everything together,and after blending,put the ready mixture in the fridge for about an hour to chill.
- After this 1 hour,form balls with tennis ball size from the mixture.This mixture yields about 15 balls.
- Get a baking dish and place baking or parchment paper on it.If you don't have baking paper,spray the dish with some non-stick cooking spray or grease with some oil or butter.
- Place the ready balls on the baking dish.
- Toss them with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil or other oil of your choice.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds on the top.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C degrees.
- Put the baking dish with falafel in it and bake them for about 15-20 minutes.Until they're golden brown.
- Serve them with your favorite side dishes and enjoy.
You can also use raw chickpeas instead of cooked.