One of the best feelings is finding a recipe that is truly a healthy hack on a comfort food favorite. This baked cream spinach is just that. It's composed of sautéed spinach and onions, with a deliciously creamy cashew cheese sauce, and sprinkled with crushed cashews and nutritional yeast for optimal cheesiness. Enjoy by the spoonful or on a piece of crunchy bread.
Baked Creamed Spinach [Vegan]
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 red onion
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon tahini sesame paste
For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 garlic clove (optional)
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- After soaking the cashews in hot water for 15 minutes, drain them and transfer to a blender.
- Add vegetable broth and tahini. Process until smooth.
To Make the Spinach:
- Preheat oven to 390°F.
- Wash the spinach and chop the onion. Put a teaspoon of your favorite oil in a pan, fry the onions and the spinach briefly.
- While the spinach and onions are cooking, make the topping by simply putting the cashews and nutritional yeast, plus spices, in the bowl of a blender or food processor. Pulse until crumbled.
- Put the spinach-onion mixture in a baking dish and distribute the cheese sauce. Garnish with the topping and bake for around 10 minutes.