Yes, you heard it right – sauerkraut Ayurvedic style! Cabbage has been the popular choice for making sauerkraut for many, many years in the West. In the East it’s popularly known as pickles where the food is left to ferment naturally in an acidic medium. Homemade pickled cucumber (you can use any veggie you like) is far better than those at the store. Generally, the store bought options are pasteurized or have added vinegar for preservation.This means they generally don't have the same effective probiotic and enzymatic value that homemade fermented options do. And, most importantly, you get to control the salt and oil in homemade recipes, unlike those at the store that have lots of oil and salt. You know exactly what goes in your pickle recipes and that is priceless!
Ayurvedic Sauerkraut [Raw,Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Ayurvedic Sauerkraut [Raw,Vegan]
- 4 large yellow Indian cucumbers (You could use any veggies you like – carrots, cauliflower, zucchini all go well with this recipe.)
- 4-6 tsp freshly ground mustard powder (you can roast mustard seeds for extra flavor)
- 1-2 tsp fenugreek and asafoetida powder
- 2-3 tsp red chili powder
- 2-3 tsp unrefined sesame oil
- salt to taste
How to Prepare Ayurvedic Sauerkraut [Raw,Vegan]
- Wash the cucumbers in water and pat them dry with a kitchen towel. Cut the cucumbers in bite size pieces after removing all the seeds.
- In a bowl mix all the spices together.
- In an airtight glass container, incorporate this mixture well into the bite sized cucumbers. Make sure all the slices are coated evenly with this spice mixture. Let it sit on your kitchen counter top for 12 hours.
- After 12 hours, stir this with a clean, dry spoon. Keep it on the counter top for another 24 – 48 hours. Later transfer this pickle into the refrigerator. The flavors get deeper and more enhanced as the days go by…YUM!!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.