Here's a delicious Avocado Soup recipe that you can always rely on. Serve it lukewarm or chilled and definitely try it with some freshly made veggie stock!
Avocado Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 avocados
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 onion
- 1/4 jalapeno
- 1 garlic clove
- 15-20 sprigs cilantro
- 1-2 limes
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Crema (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
For the Vegetable Stock:
- 2 onions
- 3-4 carrots
- 3-4 stalks celery
- 1/2 parsley bunch
- 2 bay leaves
- 10-15 whole black peppercorns
- 1 gallon cold water
To Make the Vegetable Stock:
- Start by roughly chopping 2 onions, 3-4 carrots, and 3-4 celery stalks. Add these to a gallon-sized pot along with a dollop of oil.
- Let the veggies sweat until they are just starting to soften (approx. 10 minutes).
- Fill the pot to the brim with cold water and add 1/2 parsley bunch, 10-15 whole black peppercorns, and 2 bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer. Let simmer for about an hour.
- Strain the stock. You can keep the veggies around to munch on if you want. You'll need 5 cups of this stock for the Avocado Soup. Store leftover stock in the fridge where it will keep for at least a few days, or in the freezer where it will keep for months.
To Make the Avocado Soup:
- Start by cooking 1/2 onion, 1/4 jalapeño and 1 garlic clove in a dollop of oil over medium heat.
- When the onion is softened and just starting to brown (5-8 minutes), add the mixture to a blender or food processor along with 5 cups of stock, 15-20 sprigs of cilantro, the juice of 1 lime, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and some freshly cracked black pepper. Combine well.
- Add the flesh of 2 avocados and pulse blend (I usually leave the avocados chunky). Taste for seasoning.
- Add another 1/4 teaspoon salt (so that is 3/4 teaspoon total) and another squeeze of lime.
This is typically served lukewarm or chilled. If you are using freshly made stock you can serve it right out of the blender, otherwise you can warm it up lightly in a saucepan over medium heat. Additional garnishes include vegan Crema, black pepper, and definitely a final burst of acidity (lime juice or hot sauce). Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.