Fusion food is a way to take something old and recreate with new flavors, like in this Asian lentil strudel. This traditional Bavarian entrée is stuffed with a delicious Asian-inspired filling of yellow lentils, pumpkin, smoked tofu, tomatoes, and lots of spices. Dab the puff pastry generously with some vegan butter, both for flavor and a golden and an extra-flaky crust. Sprinkled with black sesame seeds it is a stunner, for both tummy and eyes!
Asian Lentil and Tofu Strudel [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Asian Lentil and Tofu Strudel [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils
- 10.5 ounces muscat squash
- 3.5 ounces smoked tofu
- 1/2 cup tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons vegan cream or coconut milk
- A generous pinch of sea salt, black pepper, curry and black sesame seeds
- 1 sheet vegan puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
How to Prepare Asian Lentil and Tofu Strudel [Vegan]
- Cook your lentils as instructed on the package, but only halfway through. They will finish cooking in the oven. If it says 30 minutes on your package, cook them for 15-20 minutes for example.
- Preheat oven to 390°F. Dice your squash, tofu, and tomatoes into cubes.
- In a pan, heat up the olive oil and sautée the squash and tofu for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes as well. Sautée for another five minutes, then add the cream, spices, and lentils to the filling. Set aside and let it cool off for 10 minutes.
- Roll out your puff pastry and fill one side lengthwise with your filling, while leaving about a 1/2-inch free edge. Fold the other side over and gently fold over the edges while pressing them together. Cut a few gaps into the top every few centimeters.
- Melt the butter in a small pot and brush it onto the top of your strudel. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, then put it into the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.