A soft, flavorful cookie made with applesauce and warm fall inspired spices!
Apple Spice Cookies [Vegan]
For the Cookies:
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the Spiced Glaze:
- 1/2 cup organic icing sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- For the Cookies: Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Mix your ground flax and water in a bowl and mix. Allows to sit for about 10-15 minutes to thicken. Using a stand mixer, mix your vegan margarine and brown sugar until creamy and smooth. Add your flax/ water combo and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Mix in the applesauce.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. Add it to the the wet ingredients and mix until blended.
- Drop by the spoonful onto a stone cookie sheet or a parchment lined cookie tray. You should have about 18-20 cookies.
- Bake for about 13 minutes until lightly browned around the edges. Meanwhile make the spice glaze:
- Combine the icing sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Add your warm water and stir until no lumps or dry spots remain.
- When the cookies are done remove them to a cooling rack and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. While still warm paint the surface of each cookie with the spiced glaze using a pastry brush.
- Once the cookies have completely cooled, store them in an airtight container. If not consuming the same day, store any remaining cookies in the fridge.