Apples, breakfast, coffee, and cake – these were just meant to go together! This grain-free spice coffee cake is made with pecan meal, pumpkin pie spice, and nut milk and is then topped with a sticky-sweet pecan streusel. It's quick, easy, and packed with awesome flavor and tons of nutrition.
Apple Spice Coffee Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups pecan meal or almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, or rice milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Pecan Topping:
- 1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the Streusel:
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, not melted
- 2 tablespoons almond, coconut, or rice milk
- If using pecan meal, in a high-speed blender grind pecans into tiny crumbs.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the 5 wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Spread the batter evenly in a lightly greased 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350°F.
- To make the streusel topping, add all streusel ingredients to a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread over the cake batter before baking.
- To make the pecan topping, Add all the topping ingredients into a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Place them into a small skillet and toast on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle atop the baked cake.