Apples, breakfast, coffee, and cake – these were just meant to go together! This grain-free spice coffee cake is made with pecan meal, pumpkin pie spice, and nut milk and is then topped with a sticky-sweet pecan streusel. It's quick, easy, and packed with awesome flavor and tons of nutrition.
Apple Spice Coffee Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Apple Spice Coffee Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cake:
- 2 cups pecan meal or almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, or rice milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the Pecan Topping:
- 1/2 cup raw chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon flaxseed meal
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the Streusel:
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil, not melted
- 2 tablespoons almond, coconut, or rice milk
How to Prepare Apple Spice Coffee Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- If using pecan meal, in a high-speed blender grind pecans into tiny crumbs.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the 5 wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
- Spread the batter evenly in a lightly greased 8 by 8-inch baking pan. Top with streusel topping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350°F.
- To make the streusel topping, add all streusel ingredients to a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread over the cake batter before baking.
- To make the pecan topping, Add all the topping ingredients into a small bowl and mix thoroughly. Place them into a small skillet and toast on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Sprinkle atop the baked cake.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.